On the 4th Anniversary of her Let’s Move Campaign, First Lady Michelle Obama and the Secretary of Agriculture, announced exciting new standards in marketing healthy food to children. She even shared a nutrition WRAP (with a W) from Virginia students.
- Great News! Water has now surpassed soda in consumption in schools
- Highest-poverty schools will be able to serve lunch and breakfast to all students for free
- 9 million children in 22,000 schools will receive free lunches
- Programs like rewarding kids with pizza for reading are also being reviewed by the USDA
- Scoreboard advertising at school sports activities are also being reviewed – Vending machines and separate “a la carte” lines in the lunch room are included in the guidelines
- Calorie, fat, sugar and sodium limits must met on food and beverages sold during the school day at 100,000 schools
Do you have concerns about the food your child is eating in school?
See also: Nutrition Labels Get a New Look
Watch the full video: